About Me

My photo
I am a studio artist and textile designer. My work swirls around among art, design, and the joy of making things. I founded LFN Textiles Artists Ribbons in 2002, and have been designing these fairly wonderful ribbons for 8 years now. They are distributed for the wholesale market exclusively by Renaissance Ribbons, and are available at retail on my website, www.lfntextiles.com, and nationwide through fine fabric stores, gift shops. My tapestries are available through a number of galleries across the country as well. See the links section for contact information.

Monday, January 2, 2012

new thoughts

How funny that one seems to need to start a new post with the adjective "new".  Especially when the last post was very, very long ago (even though it also had "new" in the title). 

There has been a hiatus here, I admit.  I had gotten dissatisfied with my approach to writing on this blog -- which I view as my design blog --  vs. my art blog,  http://laurafosternicholson.com, which has een devoted to the more personal -- less commercial? -- activity of making artwork and musing about it.

I lecture to art schools and conferences about the relationship between art, craft & design in my work, yet I have separated these into two blogs and an etsy site.  Now I am re-thinking the role of design in my creative life -- as I am doing so much of it!  I often thought it was the fun, rather thoughtless side of my work -- decorative, patterned, fun, carefree.  Certainly my commercial clients need it to be that way, but I have been considering design as a more tightly conceptual aspect of my artwork lately.  Spoonflower still intrigues me, in that it makes very accessible relatively inexpensive prints of my ideas on fabrics with which I might make items that could be thoughtful as well as decorative.

Recently I decided to start to try to express some of my more basic ideas about ecologically responsible living in useful textiles; I have been experimenting with silkscreening on towels and handkerchiefs and trying to use imagery which is inspired and fairly clear in its meaning.  Such as, "Here is a cloth napkin as an alternative to something you might throw away.  And it is nice, so you will want to have it!"  I hope to create a series this spring of household textiles, when I decide how I want to portray my messages.

I designed 3 different towels so far for Spoonflower: one speaks of the importance of trees and the other two about the delight of eating fresh, local produce.





They are available now for sale through Spoonflower -- you will have to hem them yourself: one yard of 54" fabric yields 4 towels -- or soon, on my etsy site.

You see, already I am writing more about ideas and less about "product"!

all images and designs copyright Laura Foster Nicholson, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment