About Me

My photo
I am a studio artist and textile designer. My work swirls around among art, design, and the joy of making things. I founded LFN Textiles Artists Ribbons in 2002, and have been designing these fairly wonderful ribbons for 8 years now. They are distributed for the wholesale market exclusively by Renaissance Ribbons, and are available at retail on my website, www.lfntextiles.com, and nationwide through fine fabric stores, gift shops. My tapestries are available through a number of galleries across the country as well. See the links section for contact information.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Radiant Orchid 2012

I was going through my vast number of uploaded designs yesterday at Spoonflower, the online print-on-demand fabric service (Spoonflower has a great option in that you can offer your own designs for sale and receive a nice commission whenever someone else buys fabric printed with one of your designs).



 All designs copyright Laura Foster Nicholson 2012-2014.  All rights reserved.

I did a big collection in a colorway I called Plum in 2012, and as I came across it yesterday I realized there it was! Radiant Orchid!  I have written about this rather curious color a couple of times already, commenting on how "outside" the norm it seemed to me, and yet here I had used it with a generous hand in a design collection 2 years ago.  OK, proof that color trending is indeed insightful.

I wonder how many of you have had this color creep into your wardrobe or your home or your creative work in the past couple of years? Yes, that is how a trend is spotted.  Most of us unconscious of it until it reaches a critical mass, and someone like Faith Popcorn or Pantone points it out and shout, "AHA!"

5 comments:

  1. I have been wearing this colour house coat for many years. I never liked it, but when I felt the fabric, the warmth and the consistency of this stretch polar fleece, I had to have it. The colour would never have been my choice, but it is now an old faithful, paint smattered and torn but still # 1 for those cold mornings. I reckon the colour has influenced many of my paintings although I would never admit it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always intrigued by how we are influenced by the colors we are wearing. I will make certain color choices on days when I am wearing those colors - not consciously, but maybe a kind of peripheral consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orchid,shocking pink,fuschia.....these are hot colours throughout the year
    in India, both in traditional and contemporary fabrics......never out of fashion !!! bhamini subramaniam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear this color in all shades a lot and hate when it goes out of fashion. It's a color that looks great on me and brings out my bluish green eyes. Yay! So glad it's back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the 60's when I was a hippy weaver and leather worker, this was one of the faves of our generation. Nice to see it back, although, if truth be known, no color is ever gone. As a retired professional textile and clothing designer from the garment center in NYC, I have always felt that designers have the option to use whatever seems right at any time. It's all in the proportion, even if your boss thinks you should avoid it!!

    ReplyDelete